The team at Valley OBGYN has cared for thousands of expecting moms in 35 years serving the Liberty Lake and Spokane Valley communities. While no two pregnancies are the same, following are some basic tips to improve comfort from common issues from the doctors of Valley OBGYN.
- Nausea: Get up slowly, and eat a few unsalted crackers before getting out of bed. More frequent, smaller meals help, as does drinking water with lemon slices.
- Fatigue: Get regular exercise, take catnaps when you can, and — by all means — accept help from others.
- Mood swings: Talk about your feelings with others, including other mothers. Limit sweets and caffeine while maintaining a healthy diet of regular meals.
- Headaches: Fresh air, exercise, relaxation, rest — and repeat. Check with your health care provider before taking pain medications.
- Heartburn: Smaller, lighter meals throughout the day helps, as does sleeping with your upper body raised 6 inches. Don’t lie down until two hours after you eat.
- Constipation: Eat high-fiber foods, such as whole grains, fruits and vegetables. Drink lots of water and get regular exercise.
- Breast care: Avoid alcohol or using harsh soaps, which cause excessive dryness. Wear nursing bras, as they provide extra support and can also be used after pregnancy if you choose to breastfeed.
- Adequate sleep: Take a warm shower before bed, and sleep on a firm mattress. Position pillows to support arms, legs and belly, and lie on your side with one leg crossed over the other.
NOTE: A version of this article first appeared in the 2019 Liberty Lake Yearbook.